For London and the South:
0207 903 5144
For Manchester and the North:
0161 839 5117
Email a solicitor direct:
OTHER OFFENCES - Speeding Points

Our expert solicitors can help you avoid a driving disqualification

Speeding points and the disqualifications

speed camera

Surveys suggest that over half of drivers in the UK exceed the 30mph speed limit in urban areas at some point when they are driving. This statistic (courtesy of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) shows just how easy it is to fall into the speeding trap and be hounded with speeding points and fines.

Please feel free to read the information we have provided or contact us now to learn how we can help you.

Will I get a driving disqualification?

If you are stopped by police you may be given a fixed penalty for speeding. However, in cases where you were travelling well above the speed limit, you will be issued with a court summons at a later date and will have to attend a Magistrates court hearing.

If you are being dealt with at the roadside with points and a fine you will need to show the police officer your driving licence, MOT and insurance certificate. If you do not have them, you will be given seven days to produce them at your local police station.

Alternatively, you could be caught speeding by a speed camera where you will not be stopped and notified. Instead, the registered keeper of the car will be sent a notice of intended prosecution form within 14 days. The form will specify what date, time and location the car was caught speeding. You will be required to confirm who the driver was at that time.

Once you have confirmed this, you will either be offered a fixed penalty speeding ticket (speeding points and fine) or a court summons will be issued if you were travelling well above the speed limit.

In all cases you can appeal against the decision and argue your case against penalty points or a driving disqualification in the Magistrates Court.

Here is a guide to the speed limits in the UK:
Vehicle Road
Built up areas (street lit) Single carriageways Dual carriageways Motorways
Cars and motorcycles 30mph 60mph 70mph 70mph
Cars towing caravans or trailers 30mph 50mph 60mph 60mph
Buses and coaches (less than 12 metres long) 30mph 50mph 60mph 70mph
Goods vehicle (weighing less than 7.5 tonnes) 30mph 50mph 60mph 70mph (60mph if towing a trailer)
Goods vehicle (weighing more than 7.5 tonnes) 30mph 40mph 50mph 60mph

What can be done?

Hammond Trotter Solicitors can look at the evidence of the speeding camera device used and give you a breakdown of all the required steps which are required to be able to prosecute you successfully. We can look at simple steps such as whether a valid calibration certificate is in place and more complex procedures such as distance and alignment checks, so you can be confident in the defence of your matter.

What if I just wish to accept a penalty for speeding?

If you choose not to challenge a speeding conviction it is often beneficial to have a solicitor or barrister attend Court to offer mitigation on your behalf. Often cases that have legal representation receive significantly reduced level of disqualification, speeding points and speeding fines. You can contact us or for further information on speeding points see our penalty points page.


How many speeding points will I get?

Cases involving low speeds will usually result in three to six penalty points and a speeding fine of up to £2,500.

If you have been convicted of driving well over the speed limit, it is possible for you to be disqualified from driving.

Request a Call back

For London and the South:
0207 903 5144
For Manchester and the North:
0161 839 5117